Foodie Header

Search This Blog

Monday, February 21, 2011

Raspberry Oat Bars (Easy Things to do with Cake Mix #2)

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am currently baking my way through some of the excess baking supplies I purchased during the holidays, most notably several boxes of yellow cake mix. If the pecan cake bars of my previous post were easy, this next recipe is still easier, and quite tasty. It has a great fruit flavor, which makes it a perfect bar to make now that the weather is (supposed to be) getting warmer. It flurried by my house this morning, and I heard on the radio that there was 6" of snow on the ground in Bergen County. So maybe these bars can make you feel like Spring is coming (so long as you don't look out the window or go outside).



I originally modified this recipe from a posting I saw here, although I altered a decent amount of ingredients

You start with a box of yellow cake mix. Just plain old yellow, not the Butter Recipe yellow, which has artificial butter flavoring added to it. Trust me, we are putting almost 2 sticks of butter into the recipe, we don't need any artificial butter flavor on top of that.

Take that dry cake mix and add some quick cooking oats (1 minute oats, do not use slow cooking oats). Mix them around to combine them a bit.

Then, add melted butter, vanilla, and a little lemon zest.

Take half the crumbs, and pat them down into a sprayed 9"x13" pan. Pat it down firmly.

Next, take some seedless raspberry jam, and combine it with about 1 tbls of fresh lemon juice, stirring until smooth. Then, spread the jam on top of the base. I used a 12oz jar of jam, but you can buy a bigger jar if you want a thicker fruit layer.
Don't mind the crumbs, I started sprinkling before I remembered to take the pic of the jam layer...

Once the jam is down, take the remaining crumbs and sprinkle them on top. Once you are done sprinkling, you can pat the crumbs down semi-gently.

This gets baked for a little over 20 minutes.

When it comes out of the oven, let them cool completely, and then you can cut and serve!

Easy!! And tasty!! My favorite kind of recipe!

This recipe is actually very versatile, because you can vary the kind of cake mix, and kind of jam. How about chocolate cake with raspberry jam? Or lemon cake? White cake with cherry or blackberry jam? There are plenty of specialty jams out there at stores such as Wegman's or Harry & David's, and I'm sure most of them would pair wonderfully with a basic cake mix. Or, you can try lemon or lime curds, pumpkin or apple butters, or a combination of jam and curd -- maybe some nice lemon curd and blackberry jam?

And, this bar doesn't have to be refrigerated, which makes it a great take-along item for a party or picnic!

Raspberry Oat Bars
(Printable Recipe)

Ingredients

  • 1-18.5oz box yellow cake mix
  • 1 3/4 sticks butter (14 tbls), melted
  • 2 1/2 C quick-cooking oats
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • zest of 1 lemon
  • 1-12oz jar of seedless raspberry jam
  • 1 tbls fresh lemon juice


Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375F
  2. Combine dry mix and oatmeal in a bowl
  3. Add melted butter, vanilla and zest to oatmeal/cake mixture, and mix thoroughly
  4. Pat 1/2 of crumbs down in a 9"x13" pan, patting firmly
  5. Combine jam and lemon juice until smooth
  6. Spread jam on top of crumb layer evenly
  7. Sprinkle second 1/2 of crumbs on top of jam layer, patting down gently when finished
  8. Bake at 375F for 18-23 minutes, until golden brown.
  9. Take out and let cool
  10. Slice once cool. Can be stored, covered, at room temperature

Raspberry Jam

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I followed you from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this raspberry widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about raspberry,Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi, looking for something to do with the fresh raspberries we picked this weekend and happened upon your site. One question - how much oats are added? I don't see oats in the printable recipe part.

Meredith P said...

Yes, thanks! it is 2 1/2 C of oats, thanks! I corrected it on the page as well!